Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My Fitness Confession

I person I respect asked me why I follow the primal/paleo eating lifestyle so strictly and why I put so much emphasis on my fitness. I wanted to answer about the benefits of being healthy on the inside and outside, cite Mark Sisson, Rob Wolf and Cordain. I wanted to send them to the mobilitywod to watch KSTAR explain the importance of the human movement chain and invite them to Unite Fitness to experience a functional workout. But the answer, for me, is much more egotistical-Performance. My motivating factor for jumping headfirst into this lifestyle was performance. I only started to believe in functional fitness when my wife started smashing PR's in running and tri events year after year while my times remained static. I only wanted to know more about my diet when I wanted to take my performance to the next level. I focus on mobility to ensure faster recovery and overall health. I believe in all the health benefits of the paleo/primal lifestyle. The more I follow this lifestyle the better I truly feel and will preach the health benefits to anyone that listens. The same goes for mobility and the benefits from having a solid human movement chain even if you are not an athlete. Good posture, open hips and flexibility can provide a higher quality of life for all. Fitness, for me, is a much more goal oriented. Beyond the self confidence that comes from drop dress/pant sizes or filling out tight t-shirts the true measure of my fitness comes from challenging myself. Fitness for the sake of fitness is fine but you should use your fitness gift to become the best 'you'. If you run on the treadmill every day but have never run a race then sign up for a 5k. You may surprise yourself on how well you did and grow from the self confidence that comes with that accomplishment. Maybe the 5k leads to a 13.1 and to prepare for that you take the next step in your fitness or eliminate a bad habit. Many of us, myself included, need a push before we make those big changes even if we know the changes would be good for us. For me that change was triggered by my pursuit of performance. Make 2014 the year you use your gift of fitness to challenge yourself. It may lead to a better you! --rich

No comments:

Post a Comment